Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes
- 1 cup Pacific Foods Organic Hazelnut Plant-Based Beverage
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup neutral oil like canola or sunflower
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar or regular white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup Pacific Foods Organic Hazelnut Plant-Based Beverage
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, scant
- 1/8 cup coconut oil melted
- 1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- crushed hazelnuts for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly spray a muffin tin; set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the hazelnut beverage, sugar, oil, vinegar and vanilla together and whisk together until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking soda and stir until everything is mixed well.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just smooth, taking care not to overmix. Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake pan (using ~ 1/3 cup).
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack while you prepare the frosting.
Make the frosting
- Place hazelnut beverage in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for one minute (alternatively, you can warm in a saucepan.) Remove from microwave and immediately add the chocolate chips and cover with a dish towel to trap the steam. Let sit for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir to incorporate the chocolate into the warm beverage (it should melt), then add the coconut oil and cover again. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Beat the powdered sugar in, starting with 1 cup and adding more as needed. I use my Kitchen Aid for this as it’s easier, but you can also use a whisk and a bowl. Just prepare for a good arm workout! You’ll know it’s ready when the frosting is glossy and somewhat thick. Place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes; if it’s still runny after 20 minutes then add more powdered sugar. I usually end up adding ~1 1/4 cups.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate with crushed hazelnuts!