- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Stir in chopped garlic, onion, and ginger. Saute for 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Stir in turmeric, red pepper flakes, and chickpeas. Cook chickpeas until crisped and slightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove 1 cup of chickpeas from pan and set aside.
- Using a potato masher or fork, mash remaining chickpeas to release their starchy insides. This helps to thicken the stew. Add coconut milks and chicken stock. Bring stew to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 30-35 minutes, or until stew is thickened slightly.
- Stir in kale or swiss chard and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Divide stew into bowls and garnish with reserved chickpeas, yogurt, minut, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Serve with pita bread and enjoy!
- Recipe adapted from Alison Roman.