- Rinse rice until water runs clear. Cover rice with water and soak for 20 minutes.
- Strain and place in a pot along with broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, combine saffron threads with 1 T of boiling water. Set aside.
- Allow cooked rice to sit undisturbed for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and immediatey mix with saffron water (strained). Set aside.
*This can be made in advance*
*This can also be made in the Instant Pot to save time*
- Heat 1 T Ghee and 1 T avocado oil in a cast iron or other frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add in sliced onions.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
Spices, Aromatics and Vegetables
- Add 2 T Ghee and 2 T avocado oil to the same pan used for the onions (medium heat).
- Once hot, add spices. Saute for 30 to 45 seconds or until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add in garlic and ginger paste and continue cooking for an additional 30 to 45 seconds.
- Next, add carrots, cauliflower, green beans, red bell pepper and frozen peas along with 1/2 cup of Pacific Foods Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables are tender (but not mushy).
- Turn off heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Use a deep casserole dish or enamel coated cast iron pot for layering. Begin with 1/3 of the cooked rice mixture on the bottom.
- Top with 1/2 of the cooked spice and vegetable mixture and then 1/3 of the fried onions. Add 1/2 of the mint and cilantro leaves.
- REPEAT with 1/3 of the rice, remaining spice and veg mixture, 1/3 of the fried onions and remaining min and cilantro leaves.
- Top with remaining rice and fried onions. Add cashews and serve with yogurt (and more chopped cilantro if desired).
- You can make the entire casserole in advance. If so, leave off the yogurt and cashews. Refrigerate (up to 48 hours) until ready to reheat.
- Refrigerate (up to 48 hours) until ready to reheat.
- Add cashews to casserole and place covered on center rack. Bake for 30 minutes or until warmed through.
- Serve with yogurt and ENJOY!