- Preheat your broiler.
- In a medium heat-proof bowl, cover the cashews in boiling water and set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of heavy salted water to boil and cook the pasta until a minute shy of the packaged directions. Drain thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet. Sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender.
- Add kale to the pan and sauté over medium heat until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and toss together with the cooked pasta. Set the skillet aside.
- To the blender containing the onion mixture, add the pumpkin puree, Pacific Foods Cashew Unsweetened Original Non-Dairy Beverage, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, miso, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Drain the cashews and add them to the blender. Puree until very smooth and the consistency of a velvety soup.
- (Optional) Combine the breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small bowl.
- Pour the pumpkin sauce over the pasta and stir until it coats every noodles. Spread in an even layer and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, if using.
- Transfer the skillet to the broiler and brown for 5 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling. Enjoy hot, straight from the pan.