- Preheat oven to 450Fahrenheit. While oven is pre-heating, begin preparing vegetables.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1" cubes.
- Trim fennel ends and greens off. Quarter fennel and thinly slice. Combine diced sweet potatoes and fennel in a mixing bowl. Toss with 1/4 cup of EVOO, 1 tsp sea salt and 30 to 35 turns of freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer fennel and sweet potatoes to a baking sheet and place in the oven for 40 minutes, flipping the vegetables at least once halfway through the cook time.
- While veggies are roasting, peel onion and slice into 8th's. Thinly slice.
- Trim end of cabbage and remove core. Chop cabbage into small pieces.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Once hot, add remaining 1/4 cup of EVOO and then sliced onion along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and fragrant but not brown.
- Add chopped cabbage to onions and cook an additional 6 to 8 minutes, until cabbage begins to soften and reduces in volume by about half.
- Transfer roasted fennel and sweet potato to cabbage and onion mixture.
- Add Pacific Foods Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth and stir to combine.
- Bring to a low boil. Once boiling, add dried bay leaf and entire bunch of fresh Thyme. Immediately lower to a simmer and cook, uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and thyme stems (leaves can stay) and serve hot. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary. Enjoy!