- Heat oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Toss in the potatoes, and add more oil in this step if needed. Let cook until the potato starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add green beans, salt, black pepper, bay leaf and Italian seasoning, Mix well.
- Pour in vegetable broth and mix, making sure to scrape up all of the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add fresh thyme, 1 can of diced tomatoes, and the beans. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender.
- While cooking, in a separate pot cook pasta as directed based on the package. Set aside.
- Turn off heat of the soup and add kale or spinach. Mix well until greens have wilted. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve hot, with added pasta as desired, topped with red pepper flakes if using!