Thai Chicken Rice (Khao Man Gai)
Chicken & Broth
- 1 qt Pacific Foods Organic Chicken Stock
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 inch piece of ginger sliced, skin on
- 1.5 cups Jasmin rice
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 14 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 cup Ginger peeled, minced
- 3 fresh thai chilis
- 1 tbsp cilantro stems chopped
- 2 tbsp fermented soy paste or miso
- 1 tbsp white Distilled Vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- add sugar to taste
- add salt and black pepper to taste
Chicken & Broth
- Clean the whole chicken and trim any of the extra skin around the cavities and set the bits of skin aside. Place the chicken in a medium stock pot, add the carton of Pacific Chicken Stock, sliced ginger, and enough water to completely cover the chicken. Bring to a slow simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked, skimming the stock regularly with a ladle to stop the impurities from emulsifying into the stock and clouding it. Once the chicken is cooked take it out of the stock and set it aside. Reserve the chicken broth for the other components.
- Place the skin that was trimmed from the chicken in a medium size pot and cook it over medium heat to render the fat. Once the skin if crispy and golden brown, remove it from the pot along with the fat, making sure to leave about two tablespoons behind.
- Add the garlic to the two tablespoons of chicken fat and cook it until it becomes golden brown, making sure not to burn it.
- Rinse the Jasmin rice until the water runs clear and add it to the pot along with 2 ¼ cups of the chicken stock in which the chicken cooked in. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Place all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender or food processor and pulse until the mixture is semi-smooth. Use chicken broth to thin the sauce out to your desired consistency. Season to taste with sugar, salt, and black pepper.
- Carve pieces of chicken and cut them into strips. Serve the chicken strips over a bed of rice along with a bowl of the chicken broth, and a small amount of sauce. Top with fresh cilantro and sliced cucumbers.