Classic Swedish Meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 white onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
Beef broth gravy:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil divided
- 2 tbsp. butter divided
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Pacific Foods Organic Beef Broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley roughly chopped, to serve
- Prepare the meatballs: place all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and use your hands to mix everything into a cohesive mixture.
- Form meatballs into small balls (roughly the size of a ping-pong ball) using your hands. Set aside on a baking sheet.
- Cook the meatballs: heat one tablespoon of olive oil and one tablespoon of butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs in batches and cook, turning every 1-2 minutes, until meatballs are browned on all four sides. Transfer meatballs to a plate and repeat with remainder of mixture. It’s OK if meatballs are not fully cooked inside - they will continue to cook in the gravy.
- Prepare the gravy: sprinkle flour over the remaining browned bits in the non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Use a wooden spoon to scrape bits around and cook the flour until thick and no longer looks dry - about 1 minute. Add beef broth and pepper and whisk until gravy is smooth and just beginning to simmer.
- Return meatballs to gravy pan. Simmer meatballs in gravy, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until meatballs are completely cooked through and gravy has thickened.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in half-and-half, gently shaking the pan to combine.
- Garnish meatballs with chopped fresh parsley and enjoy!
- Leftover meatballs will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.