- 1/2 cup expeller pressed canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 2 red bell peppers diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 8 oz. Andouille style sausage sliced into rounds
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper optional for extra heat
- 4 cups Pacific Foods Free-Range Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs. Uncooked Shrimp
- 1 1/2 tbsp. gumbo file powder
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Add the oil to a large, heavy-bottomed pot and bring it up to medium heat. Add flour and whisk constantly to avoid burning. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture becomes a caramel color, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, sausage, peppers and celery to the pot. Cook until tender, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Add cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning, Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth and Organic Diced Tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Add gumbo filé and shrimp, and continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes until shrimp is cooked and gumbo thickens.
- Serve over rice topped with green onions.