Sweet or savory, pancakes are the perfect meal for any time of day. Yet, what happens if you need to avoid dairy or if you only have water on hand? Can you make pancakes without milk? Absolutely! It’s more than possible to make dairy-free pancakes using water or other plant-based ingredients without sacrificing flavor. Read on and we’ll show you how.
What Can I Use Instead of Milk in Pancake Recipes?
Believe it or not, there are several liquid products you can use instead of milk to make dairy-free pancakes. And guess what? They result in pancakes that are just as delicious, creamy, and sweet as those made with milk.
Almond-based beverages are a common choice as a dairy alternative. Almond beverages typically have a slightly nutty flavor, making them a great choice for sweet pancakes. They’re also typically creamy, much like milk.
Almond-based beverages come in a wide range of flavors too, including vanilla and even chocolate. This can add more flavor and variety to your pancakes.
Oats are naturally sweet and so are oat-based beverages. Similar to almond beverages, oat beverages have a slightly nutty flavor. Some say oat-based beverages are a bit sweeter than traditional cow’s milk, making them great complements to decadent pancakes. Oat-based beverages are also slightly thicker than other beverages.
Hemp-based beverages have a mild nutty flavor as well with a hint of sweetness. They also have a creamy consistency much like milk. Many people choose hemp for its nutritional benefits. For example, hemp is a great source of Omega 3s and essential amino acids.
Do you love the flavor of coconut? If so, a coconut-based beverage is a great milk substitute. They’re typically sweetened with real coconut milk instead of sugar, so you get the true flavor of coconut in every sip (or bite).
Of course, you can simply use water to make your pancakes too. Whether straight from the tap or out of the bottle, water can act as the liquid that combines the other pancake ingredients such as flour and baking powder.
Worried about a lack of flavor when using water? Don’t be! You can always add in a bit of vanilla extract or other spices to elevate your pancakes.
Tips for Tasty Dairy-Free Pancakes
Dairy-free doesn’t mean “blah.” Instead, regardless of what you use to create your pancakes, use these tips to make your next batch the most flavorful yet.
- Try using sparkling water: If you’re using water to create your pancakes, try using sparkling water. The tiny air bubbles inside carbonated water will result in a lighter pancake.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients separately first: For the best results, you’ll want to combine the dry ingredients together and the wet ingredients together before combining everything. This ensures your dry ingredients are evenly distributed and helps with lumps.
- Keep the batter lumpy: Speaking of lumps, you don’t want a completely smooth batter. A few lumps and bumps in your batter should remain so you don’t over mix. Over mixing your batter will lead to tough pancakes and no one wants that.
- Use an ice cream scooper for perfect portions: Want the perfectly round pancakes? Use an ice cream scoop! Dip into the batter and then pour the batter from the scoop into your pan or onto your griddle.
- Add vanilla extract or other flavorings: Even the simplest of pancake recipes can be elevated with some simple ingredients such as vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or even berries. If you’re using water, this is especially important to help you get the flavor you want.
- Flip when you see bubbles: Bubbles popping around the edges of your pancakes signal that it’s time to flip. So, wait until you see these bubbles forming before you grab your spatula.
Our 5 Favorite Dairy-Free Pancake Recipes
You may already have a dairy-free pancake recipe that you love. But if you don’t or you want to widen your horizons, here are five of our favorite recipes for you and your family to enjoy.
These dairy-free pancakes are far from basic. With ingredients such as fresh lemon juice and vanilla extract, these pancakes are sure to become a staple in your home. Add some delicious maple syrup and serve them warm for the perfect breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Dairy-Free Japanese Pancakes
Japanese pancakes are incredibly bouncy, fluffy, and thick with a crispy outside. To make it happen, you’ll use ingredients such as unbleached flour, powdered sugar, sea salt, Pacific Foods Organic Almond Vanilla Single Serve, coconut oil, and more. The result is a pancake you’ll have to see to believe.
Dairy-Free Strawberry Sheet-Pan Pancakes
Want to save some time on a busy morning? Sheet pan pancakes are a great alternative. Simply combine ingredients such as apple cider vinegar, baking powder, flour, baking soda, Pacific Foods Hemp Original Plant-Based Beverage, and whole wheat flour into a sheet pan and bake.
Dairy-Free Sweet Spinach Pancakes
Yes, you read that right. These pancakes feature-packed baby spinach for added flavor and protein. Combine the spinach with egg, coconut oil, flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, sea salt, and other ingredients to make a sweet and colorful pancake. Top with berries, yogurt, and maple syrup for additional flavor.
Dairy-Free Hemp Pancakes
These pancakes only take 20 minutes to prepare from start to finish. The recipe is simple, including ingredients such as Pacific Foods Hemp Original Plant-Based Beverage, baking powder, flour, sugar, and vanilla extract.
Enjoy Your Favorite Dairy-Free Dishes With Pacific Foods
Whether you want to serve your family your favorite Saturday morning pancakes or need to whip up a quick weeknight dinner, Pacific Foods can help. Our soups, broths, stocks, and plant-based beverages are dairy-free and available right in your grocery aisle. Check out our products to learn more.