- For the bowl:
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu not silken
- 1/3 cup oil for frying your choice
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms quartered
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts,
- 1/4 cup green onions,
- For the sauce:
- 2 inch chunk of ginger pressed
- 2 garlic cloves prssed
- 1 1/2 cups Pacific Foods Organic Tomato & Red Pepper Stock
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. chili paste
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- Drain the tofu, and cut into slabs 3/4″ – 1″ thick. Layer a kitchen towel on a baking sheet, then arrange the tofu in a single layer, top with another kitchen towel, then another baking sheet, and finally top with something heavy (I use cookbooks) and leave for 20 minutes.
- While the tofu is draining, prepare your other foods. Toss the mushrooms and broccoli florets with a teaspoon of olive oil, and 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet, then bake at 400F for 20 minutes, or until soft.
- When the tofu has drained, cut it into smaller squares — about 3/4″ x 3/4″ total.
- Heat a heavy skillet with your frying oil over medium heat. When it’s quite warm, add your tofu pieces. Cook them on each side, turning with tongs, until golden brown. Remove individually as they finish, so they don’t burn.
- When all of the tofu has been fried, pour off the extra oil, and make the sauce in the same pan. Combine all of the sauce ingredients in the pan, whisking vigorously to incorporate the corn starch.
- Continue to cook, whisking, over medium-low heat (it should simmer, but not be boiling) until the sauce thickens (3-5 minutes). Add the tofu back in, cook for 2 more minutes, then remove from the heat.
- To assemble the bowls, layer the brown rice, then the tofu, vegetables, hazelnuts, and green onions. If you have extra sauce from the tofu, drizzle over top!