- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion slivered (about 1-1/4 Cups)
- 1/2 cup dry barley rinsed
- 2 large garlic cloves minced (or about 2 tsp bottled minced garlic)
- 1 dried thyme
- 8 oz. sliced button or cremini mushrooms
- 1 carton Pacific Foods Organic Mushroom Broth 32 oz. (or Beef Broth)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 tsp. miso paste or simply more salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions, and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until they are translucent. Reduce the heat just a touch, add the barley, garlic, and thyme, and sauté for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms, followed by the Organic Mushroom Broth, tomato paste, vinegar, bay leaf, and I would start with 1/4 Teaspoon of salt and the miso, if using.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and allow the soup to simmer for at least 1 hour, or until the barley is nice and tender.
- Season to taste with additional salt and black pepper to taste.