- Fill a large stockpot 2/3 full with water, and bring to a simmer. Add the potatoes, and let cook until fork-tender.
- Drain, then add the butter, Pecorino Romano, milk or cream, and salt & pepper to taste. Mash until mostly smooth (I leave mine somewhat chunky, but that’s personal preference).
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine the dry lentils with 3 cups of Pacific Foods Organic Beef Broth in a covered saucepan. Bring to a simmer and let cook until tender (20-25 minutes).
- In a large high-walled skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook for one minute before adding the garlic, carrots, and mushrooms.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are cooked through. Your carrots may still be slightly crunchy, but that’s ok!
- Add the tomato paste, rosemary, oregano, and frozen peas. Stir everything together, then sprinkle the flour over the top of the vegetables. Mix it in and cook for 2 minutes before adding the remaining 1 cup of beef broth, and red wine vinegar.
- Bring to a simmer, then mix in the cooked lentils and season everything generously with salt and pepper.
- If your pan is oven safe, remove it from the heat and leave everything in the pan. If you need to transfer to an oven-safe casserole dish, do that now.
- Spread the mashed potatoes in an even layer over the cooked vegetables, and bake at 375F for 30 minutes, or until the top of the potatoes are beginning to brown.
- Serve warm!