- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup diced eggplant
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 zucchini sliced into long ribbons
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes,
- 1 carton Pacific Foods Organic Strained Tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Italian Seasonings
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cook penne pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Preheat oven broiler and place oven rack on highest shelf.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute until golden, about two minutes.
- Stir in eggplant and mushrooms and saute for five minutes. Stir in zucchini ribbons and cherry tomatoes and saute for an additional five minutes.
- Once vegetables are lightly sauteed, pour in carton of strained tomatoes and add salt and spices, except for fresh basil.
- Stir vegetable and sauce mixture to combine and cook for five minutes.
- Divide pasta into four small cast iron skillets or one large skillet.
- Cover pasta in each skillet with sauce and vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle each cast iron skillet with cheese.
- Broil skillets for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Carefully remove skillets from oven and garnish with fresh basil.
- Eat immediately.