- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over medium heat, then add the onion, garlic, cumin, and paprika.
- Cook for 2 minutes before adding the butternut squash and jalapeño (or wait until later if you want more heat!). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash has soften to fork tender — 15-20 minutes.
- Add about 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper, or to taste, and remove from heat.
- Roll your pie crust out to 1/8″ thick, and cut into circles no bigger than 5″ in diameter. Spread a 1/4″ layer of Pacific Foods Organic Refried Black Beans with Chiles on half of each round of dough, leaving 1/4″ bare around the edge. Spoon a small mound of the squash mixture on top of the beans, then fold the dough over to make a half-moon, crimping the edges with a fork, and making a small incision in the top of each empanada.
- When all of the dough has been used up, whisk together the egg and 1 Tbsp of water. Brush the top of each empanada with the egg mixture, then bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 400F for 20-30 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Eat warm.