At Pacific, we’ve always loved being green. But this time of year, we thought it fitting to give a nod to more than our shades of sustainability. In honor of St. Paddy’s Day, here are a few recipes that celebrate Irish American culture. May they bring you the luck of the Irish, or at the very least, the fortune of a happy belly.
Hearty Vegetable and Potato Chowder
- Heat oil in medium sauce pan; add carrots, celery and onion and cook until tender.
- Add Rosemary Potato Chowder and Vegetable Broth; bring to a boil.
- Portion servings into cups or bowls.
Serve with rustic bread, topped with broiled Irish cheddar cheese. For even more Irish flair, add a bell pepper slice. Magically delicious!
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Adapted from Spoonful.com
- 1 (4 - 5 pound) corned beef, rinsed
- 1 medium head of cabbage, cut into 2-inch wedges
- 6 red potatoes, halved
- 4 carrots, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 cups Pacific Foods Organic Simply Stock Chicken
- 8 ounces beer or water
- 3 large bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper corns
- Place onions, carrots, and potatoes in the bottom of a large slow cooker pot.
- Rinse the corned beef and lay it over the vegetables. Add in bay leaves, pepper corns, and Dijon mustard.
- Pour beer and stock over everything. Make sure liquid covers most of the corned beef; if not, add more water or stock. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
- Add the cabbage to the slow cooker and cook until cabbage is just tender (about 30 minutes).
- Plate beef and veggies.
- Slice beef against the grain and serve with extra mustard.
Green Super Smoothie
- 4 or 5 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
- 1 cup Pacific Foods Rice Non-Dairy Beverage
- 1 ripe banana (over-ripe bananas are perfect for smoothie makin'!)
- 1 small apple or pear
- 1 small avocado
- 3 leaves of kale, stems removed
- 1 stalk of celery, leaves included
- 1 heaping teaspoon vegetable super food powder or protein powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon of spirulina
- 1 full dropper of liquid maca
- Agave to taste
- Blend well. Keeps for up to 2 days chilled.