October 1st, 2013
We love our guest bloggers! This month, our hats go off to Katie Jasiewicz of Katie's Cucina. Much like us at Pacific, Katie is a self-proclaimed foodie who learned to cook at an early age. Her blog offers up amazingly tasty, (and often indulgent!) recipes from her own kitchen, inspired by her many years of traveling. Enjoy!
Mexican Vegetarian Rice Bake
I'm a lover of all things veggies and Mexican food. As long as I can remember, I've always loved veggies. I was the odd child who would prefer sides of vegetables over grilled cheese and hamburgers. As I grew older I started branching out and trying different meats. I am definitely a flexitarian at heart.
I am also a lover of all things Mexican. I could honestly eat Mexican food morning, noon, and night and never be tired of it! Whether its spicy or full of veggies--I'm game to give it a try.
But ultimately, comfort food to me is a delicious vegetarian meal. So why not take some leftover rice and transform it into a vegetarian dish for lunch or dinner?
I used Pacific’s Organic Spicy Black Bean and Kale Soup as my base for flavor, as well as fresh plum tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, and fresh cilantro and green onions. Now that I'm older and wiser, I enjoy cheese so I added a cup of cheese to make it ooeyy-gooey delicious.
This is a perfect flexitarian meal. Whether you eat the Mexican Vegetarian Rice Bake on its own, or satisfy the carnivore in your life and pair it with a piece of meat, you won't go wrong with this rice bake.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
• 2 cups cooked white rice
• 2/3 cups of Pacific’s Spicy Black Bean & Kale Soup
• 1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese, divided
• 1 plum tomato, middles removed and diced
• ½ yellow bell pepper, minced
• ¼ tsp salt
• 1 tbsp cilantro, minced
• 3 green onion, sliced
• Non-stick cooking spray
• *optional sour cream, cilantro, and green onions for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the 2 cups cooked white rice, 2/3 cups of Spicy Black Bean & Kale Soup, ½ cup of shredded Mexican Cheese, diced plum tomato, minced yellow bell pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon minced cilantro, and sliced green onions.
3. Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, then pour the rice mixture into the baking dish. Place remaining half cup of shredded Mexican cheese on top and bake for 25 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven, serve immediately and top with sour cream, cilantro, and sliced green onions if desired.