Summer is crazy. With the warmth of the sun’s rays comes parties, weddings, picnics, festivals, and other celebratorious times. As the leaves begin to turn their burnt umber hues, the chill sets in, and the sun hides a little more from us each day, it’s nice to take a moment to sit in quiet contemplation and comfort. With soup. A bowl of thick, creamy, piping hot soup.
This soup is bold and sweet-yet-slighty-pungent from the roasted garlic, silky and vege-floral from the cauliflower, and gets its creamy substance from cashews pulverized into a delicious thick cashew butter. Take a bite, reflect on its deliciousness, and repeat until the whole bowl is gone and you want to do it all over again.
And PS: this recipe is just veggies, nuts, and a little olive oil, right? So it’s gluten-free, vegan, soy free, and all those diet restrictions. Good times!
1. Chop the top off each head of garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap them in foil and roast in a 400 degree oven for about an hour, or until softened. Let cool.
2. In a food processor, grind the cashews until a uniformly-pureed cashew butter forms. It will take a few minutes and may look to dry at first, but let it run and the oils will release and thin it out. Set aside.
3. In a dutch oven over medium heat, saute the onion, shallots, and celery in the olive oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the black pepper, thyme, celery salt, and cayenne pepper, and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
4. Add the wine to deglaze the pan, scrapping up any browned bits. Simmer the mixture for a few minutes, until the wine has reduced by about half. Add the cashew butter and stir until it is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Add the vegetable broth and cauliflower, bring the mixture back to a simmer and cook at a gentle simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and soft.
5. Remove the soup from the heat and add the roasted garlic, squeezing out each clove like a tube of toothpaste. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Garnish with the chives and enjoy!