Hit the Spot Hot-and-Sour Devour Mushroom Soup
Created by: TheRealFoodBonVivant
His recipe is a quickie that you can make on the fly. When developing this earthy toned and textured soup, I was thinking of autumn in my bowl. The crisp fall air inspired me and the slight warmth attached to that crispness. Although this dish is quick and not too fussy, it’s still innovative and will introduce you to some of my favorite ingredients. Get your senses stimulated and begin your journey into being bold and fearless, just like this soup.
*Vegetarian Option-use tofu instead of Scallops or Shrimp
Cook Time:PT30M30 min
Prep Time:PT15M15 min
- 2 1/2 Cups Pacific Foods Organic Mushroom Broth
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoon (30mL) minced Fresh Ginger or 1 1/2 Teaspoon (7mL) grated Fresh Ginger
- 10 grams Dried Sliced Mushrooms (such as Porcini)
- 1 ½ Cups sliced assorted Mushrooms (such as Button or Oyster)
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce or Tamari
- 2 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Cane Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Hot Chili Sauce or Tabasco Sauce or Dried Chili Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Sesame Oil
- 6-ounce Tofu, Scallops or Shrimp
- 2 Green Onions
- 1 Tablespoon chives, finely chopped
PRINT THIS RECIPE›
- Reconstitute dried mushrooms with hot water and soak from 10 to 15 minutes or until soft. Save strained soaking liquid. Combine broth, mushroom water and ginger in a large saucepan. Stir in mushrooms, tamari, vinegar, sugar, and chili and sesame oil. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice tofu or peel shrimp. Thinly slice onions diagonally. Stir in tofu, scallops or shrimp into soup. Continue simmering, covered, just until tofu is hot, scallops are opaque or shrimp are bright pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in onions. Taste and add more chili sauce for fire or vinegar for zip. Garnish with chives.