Fresh Spinach, Orzo and Chicken Soup
Created by: Pacific Foods
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground savory
- 32 fl ounces of Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
- ⅔ cup uncooked whole wheat orzo
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups lightly packed fresh baby spinach
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 lemon wedges
PRINT THIS RECIPE›
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a 4 quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sear chicken until lightly browned and transfer to a bowl until needed.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions soften, about 5 minutes. Add coriander, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and savory, stir about 1 minute.
- Add broth, bring to a boil then stir in orzo and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add chicken and accumulated juices and bring to a boil, cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Divide spinach evenly between six bowls. Ladle hot soup over spinach, garnish with Parmesan cheese and a lemon wedge. Serve immediately.
*For a vegetarian option, omit chicken and substitute Pacific Organic Vegetable Broth or Pacific Organic Mushroom Broth.
*For a dairy free option, omit Parmesan cheese.