French Mushroom Onion Soup
Created by: Megan
As a recent college graduate, I relied a little too much on my university’s food service throughout school. I’ve really enjoyed the added free time that comes in the post-graduate lifestyle, as well as the absence of the efficient, yet low quality, school food. Since I am just beginning to explore in the kitchen, I tend to pick recipes with a small amount of ingredients.
I am gluten-intolerant, so cooking at home allows me to broaden my diet. I’ve always been a fan of French Onion soup, but that is one of many things that is usually off-limits in restaurants. My recipe is for a French Mushroom Onion soup, using the always gluten-free Pacific Foods Organic Beef Broth, and substituting a Teaspoon of wheat-free soy sauce for the Worcestershire sauce.
Cook Time:PT45M45 min
Prep Time:PT15M15 min
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 2 Cups onions, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
- 4 Cups Pacific Foods Organic Beef Broth (1 Carton)
- 1/2 Cup water
- 2 Tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- 1/8 Teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 Cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 1 French baguette
- 1/4 Cup shredded Parmesan and/or Gouda cheese
PRINT THIS RECIPE›
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add onions; sauté until soft, about 15 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté lightly for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, water, wine, Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce) and pepper; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- For bread: Brush sliced bread with olive oil, sprinkle cheese and bake for 3-4 minutes at 275 degrees. Sprinkle soup with cheese if desired. Enjoy!