Creamy Turnip Soup
Created by: CwCafetoday
There are so many vegetables that are overlooked and underrated. My soup today is all about the “Turnip”. My mother used turnips when fixing greens and other veggies. She could not get us to eat them; mom even tried to persuade us that they were just like potatoes. Since then I have tried turnips in various soups and stews and I love eating them. So I hope this recipe will entice you to try turnips. Enjoy
Cook Time:PT30M30 min
Prep Time:PT0M0 min
- 1 pound White Turnips (about 4 medium), peeled and cubed
- 3 Cups Pacific Foods Organic Vegetable Broth Low Sodium
- 3 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Cup Instant Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 3 ounces of (whipped) cream cheese (1/3 less fat)
- 2 Tablespoon fresh Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
PRINT THIS RECIPE›
- Wash turnips, then peel and cut into cubes, about 1/2 inch thick. Just make sure the cubes are cut the same size so that they can evenly cook.
- In a stock pot (about 3 - 5 quart) add Pacific Foods Organic Vegetable Broth and bring to a boil.
- Then add turnips, butter, onions, garlic and reduce heat, let simmer for about 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Prep blender for soup (Be careful when placing hot items in your blender as steam can blow the lid off.)
- Pour soup mixture into blender and add mashed potato flakes, nutmeg, honey and blend on medium speed until smooth, then add soften cream cheese and blend well.
- Return soup to pot and let simmer for about 2 - 3 minutes, season to taste with salt and pepper. Then add chopped parsley and blend. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with chopped scallions and additional parsley.