The touch of cashews makes this bisque creamy and pairs well with the smooth avocado that I love so much. For a little bit of fun, I decided to toss in a bit of sage, orange zest, curry powder and dried lavender. Wild, right? I got a little crazy…but loved the flavor combination.
I decided to use brown rice in this recipe but you could easily use quinoa, buckwheat, jasmine rice or wild rice and it would taste just as delicious. I opted for the brown rice because I had it on hand but any grain of choice should work if you’d like to alter it. No need to run out and get brown rice if all you have on hand is wild or jasmine. But, if you’re feeling experimental, go ahead and try quinoa or buckwheat, which are two delicious gluten-free grains.
One little taste of this bisque and it will knock your socks off (well you know what I mean, hehe). You’ll enjoy it and it can be paired with a salad, baked tofu or bean burgers for a bit of protein.
I’m loving the orange zest, lavender and sage mixed together..it’s getting me in the mood for Spring…and I keep taking spoonfuls of this bisque throughout the day from my fridge. It’s just too good for words.
* 1 Tbsp. butter
* 1 cup sweet white onion, diced
* 2 cups celery, diced
* 1 cup zucchini, diced
* 1/3 tsp. sage
* 1/3 tsp. orange zest
* 1/2 cup brown rice
* 4 cups Pacific Foods Organic Vegetable Broth
* 1/4 tsp. sea salt
* 1/4 tsp. black pepper
* 1 ripe avocado, peeled, cored and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
* 1/8 tsp. curry powder
* 1/8 tsp. dried lavender
* 10 cashews
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion, celery and zucchini; cook until onions are translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add sage, orange zest and brown rice; cook for another 3 minutes.
2. Add vegetable broth; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Add sea salt, pepper, avocado, curry powder and dried lavender.
3. In a blender, process cashews until they form a ground consistency.
4. Add celery mixture to the ground cashews in the blender. Puree until smooth; serve immediately.