Courge Au Vin (winter squash in wine stew)
Created by: Lfrancis
I seek to create homey comfortable classic dishes adapted to suit my vegetarian diet without sacrificing the complex flavors that I crave. This adaption of a classic Coq Au Vin is and has been added as a vegetarian main dish during Thanksgiving, and has even been enjoyed by my meat eating husband for its rich depth of flavor. It takes a little work to peel the squash and brown in butter- but its squash browned in butter! It’s worth it!
Cook Time:PT1H0M1 hr, 0 min
Prep Time:PT30M30 min
- 1 large or 2 small winter squash such as acorn, butternut, or sweet dumpling
- 4 Tablespoon. Butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 Cups red wine
- 3 Cups Pacific Foods Organic Vegetable Broth (you could sub Pacific Foods Organic Mushroom or Organic Free Range Chicken Broth)
- 1 Cup mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Cup frozen pearl onions
PRINT THIS RECIPE›
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Cut squash in half, scrape out seeds and stringy pulp. With a sharp knife cut off hard exterior shell, and dice squash into 1 inch chunks.
- Over medium heat in a large oven proof Dutch oven melt 2 Tablespoon. of butter. Add chunks of winter squash and allow to brown. Stir squash around to ensure browning on all sides. Remove squash from pot and set aside.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, add garlic, carrots, and celery, and sweat for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Deglaze pan with red wine, stirring to remove all of the brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Add Pacific Foods Organic Vegetable Broth, mushrooms, thyme, and bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in oven and cook for 30 minutes at 300 degrees.
- Remove pot from oven and place back on stove on low. Remove the stems from the Thyme and bay leaves. Add pearl onions.
- Mix flour and remaining butter together in a small bowl, coating the butter with flour and add mixture to stew. Allow to cook for another 10 minutes before serving.