Corn and Potato Chowder with Tilapia
Created by: Mother Thyme
I love Tilapia and corn chowder and I thought combining these delicious ingredients together would make for a delicious meals, which it does.
Cook Time:PT1H15M1 hr, 15 min
Prep Time:PT30M30 min
- 2 6-ounce tilapia fillets
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ Cup red onion, diced
- ½ Cup sweet pepper, diced
- ¼ Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups half and half
- 2 Cups Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth Low Sodium
- 1 ½ Cup potatoes, skins on and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can corn kernels, no salt added, drained
- ⅓ Cup precooked real bacon bits
- 1 ½ Cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ Teaspoon salt plus additional to taste
- ½ Teaspoon pepper plus additional to taste
PRINT THIS RECIPE›
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in garlic, onion and pepper and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Add in flour and stir until combined. Slowly add in half and half a few Tablespoons at a time, stirring well after each addition and sauce is thick before adding more. Continue until all half and half is added followed by gradually adding in Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth Low Sodium. Stir in corn, potatoes, bacon, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until potatoes are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season tilapia fillets with salt, pepper and lemon juice on a foiled line baking sheet and bake for 14-17 minutes until fish is white and flaky. Remove and shred in to large pieces.
- When potatoes are tender, add in cheddar cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour desired amount of soup in to bowls and top with shredded tilapia and serve warm.
Soup can be made and served omitting the tilapia as a Corn and Potato Chowder.
I used fat free half and half but regular or low fat would be fine as well.