I’m a smoothie girl. Each morning I make one and take it with me to work. It’s one of the reasons I look forward to waking up — it’s a real treat. :)
This particular smoothie is packed with awesome: greens, fruits, and almond butter. Several of my favorite things. The recipe will yield a large 32-ounce mason jar and is meant to be a meal replacer. Some days I can replace breakfast and lunch, others I down the whole thing in one sitting because it’s that good.
So why add the powders to the smoothie? To make a great tasting food fantastically healthy. All the other ingredients in the smoothie drive the flavor and the powders provide extra nutrition. Spirulina is an excellent source of protein and vitamins and can be found in your favorite food co-op or health food store. I’ve found the taste to be acquired as the body learns to appreciate the easily digestible nutrient load.
- 4 or 5 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
- 1 cup Pacific Foods Low Fat Vanilla Rice Non Dairy Beverage
- 1 ripe banana (over-ripe bananas are perfect for smoothie makin'!)
- 1 small apple or pear
- 1 small avocado
- 3 leaves of kale, stems removed
- 1 stalk of celery, leaves included
- 1 heaping teaspoon of Vitamineral Green (ask for it in your health food store)
- 1 heaping teaspoon of spirulina
- 1 full dropper of liquid maca
- Agave to taste
Blend all ingredients well. Keeps for up to 2 days chilled.