Spinach and Mushroom Fondue
Created by: One Spicy Dish
There is no aroma like sizzling wine into a pan of onions and garlic. The moment this happens in my house, the family comes running. I could be making risotto or soup, but they always assume I’m working on a new fondue concoction.
This is a very versatile recipe. You can use many types of cheeses, you can use wine or beer, and the options you have to dip into the cheese are endless.
It’s a great way to get kids to eat their veggies and let’s face it, who doesn’t love a giant bowl full of melted cheese?
*Gluten Free Option-use gluten free dipping foods
Cook Time:PT30M30 min
Prep Time:PT15M15 min
- 16-ounces Mild cheddar shredded
- 8-ounces Gouda, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-ounces baby belle, shitake and oyster mushrooms, prepared & washed
- 5-ounces frozen spinach thawed and drained well
- ¾ Cup white wine
- ¼ Cup reserved Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
- 4 cups of Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
- Broccoli florets
- Cauliflower florets
- Baby carrots
- Asparagus spears
- French green beans
- Granny smith apples
- Pumpernickel bread*
PRINT THIS RECIPE›
- Bring 4 cups of Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth to a boil over medium high heat. Par boil the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus and green beans for 3 min. Strain from broth and immerse immediately into an ice bath to stop cooking. Reserve ¼ Cup Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth for fondue. Drain vegetables and serve at room temperature. Prepare the rest of the dipping foods. Chop the bread, apples and slice the salami. Arrange on a large platter. Once you start the fondue, the process goes rather quickly.
- Shred both cheeses and gently mix cornstarch into the cheese. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and olive oil. Add shallots and minced garlic. Meanwhile, roughly chop mushrooms and add to pan. Cook mushrooms down for five minutes. When liquid has evaporated and you notice brown bits on the bottom of the pan, add wine and reserved Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth. Deglaze the pan of all the yummy goodness in the pan.
- Once the pan is deglazed begin adding shredded cheese a handful at a time to ensure slow, even melting. After the cheese has melted, add the well-drained spinach. Stir to heat through.
Pour cheese mixture into a fondue pot or a crock pot. Serve with variety of fruits, vegetables, breads and meat.